Start here

Consider this your one-stop shop for information from us as a contractor or plumber working in our service territory. You can become a trade ally, find out how to convert a customer to natural gas or get answers to your frequently asked questions here.

Interested in becoming a trade ally?

Increase your exposure and expand your business by becoming a trade ally.

When you join our Trade Ally Program:

  • You'll be considered a participating contractor, which means you will be listed on our website and used by our call center representatives
  • You'll partner with sales representatives to assist customers in the conversion process
  • You'll receive monthly communications regarding new customer incentives and energy efficiency programs

And, the Trade Ally Program is free for qualified contractors. You could be eligible if your business replaces or repairs appliances, installs exterior service lines, or completes interior plumbing or pipe fitting for our customers.

How to join

Complete our online form to start the process toward becoming a trade ally.

Need to add natural gas or install new appliances?

We're here to help you get natural gas for your customers. Whether you're converting a customer to natural gas or replacing a customer's appliances, contact us to ensure our natural gas service is the right size.

We’ll need to know a few things about the equipment and appliances. Call us at 1-800-440-6111 for a consultation.

For your safety

Cigarettes and other smoking products are sources of ignition for natural gas and should not be used near natural gas facilities. Anyone working near natural gas facilities should abstain from smoking, which could serve as a potential ignition source and safety hazard. This would include smoking of all tobacco and related products, as well as electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and vaping products.

Frequently asked questions

Who installs the line from the main in the street to my site?

In western Pennsylvania, we own and maintain the main supply lines up to the property line, and you are responsible for repairing or replacing all service lines and house lines beyond that point.

In some areas of central Pennsylvania, we own the lines up to the meter.

Please call us at 1-800-440-6111 to discuss your service line installation.

Thank you for your response.

Was this helpful?

I called 811 and waited, now what?

Once you are within the legal start dates, check your responses via your method of choice. You should have a "Clear" or "Marked" response from each individual utility. If you have not received a response from a particular utility, call 811 immediately and specify the utility that has not yet responded. Do not assume it is safe to dig because there was no response.

Thank you for your response.

Was this helpful?

I called 811 and had lines marked, but due to the work the marks are no longer visible. What should I do?

As an excavator, it is your responsibility to preserve the marks that have been placed on the ground. However, sometimes the work does not always allow this to happen. If the marks are no longer visible, dial 811 to have facility owners come back to re-mark their lines.

Thank you for your response.

Was this helpful?

Do I need to call 811 if I plan to demolish a building?

Yes, you need to call if you plan on doing any demolition work. Demolition can affect underground utilities, especially if there are service lines in the area.

Thank you for your response.

Was this helpful?

How deep is the gas line?

The depth of the underground utility lines vary from location to location based on a number of factors. There is no way to know the precise depth of a gas line that is buried underground, which is why it is so important to call 811 to have the facility owners come out and mark the lines. Always be sure to expose gas lines by hand digging when working on your project.

Thank you for your response.

Was this helpful?

If natural gas is not available for my project, is it possible to extend a line to the site?

Please call us at 1-800-440-6111. We can evaluate your site and determine availability and provide details about the main line extension process.

Thank you for your response.

Was this helpful?

Is natural gas available for my project?

Please call us at 1-800-440-6111. We can answer specific questions about the availability of natural gas. Make sure to provide the intersecting streets to the left and right of your project site.

Thank you for your response.

Was this helpful?

What should I do if I damage an underground gas line?

If you damage a natural gas line and gas is blowing, leave the area immediately and call 911. Then, call us at 1-888-460-4332. Do NOT try to block the flow of gas. There may be hidden damage that could be worsened by building pressure. Stay clear of the area. Once the area is safe, turn off the equipment and try to eliminate potential ignition sources. The first priority is the protection of life. After 911 has been notified, you may also contact 811.

Thank you for your response.

Was this helpful?

Doing business with us

If you're not a contractor who replaces or repairs appliances, installs exterior service lines, or completes interior plumbing or pipe fitting for our customers, you can apply to be a supplier with our parent company, NiSource.

Learn More

Looking for a contractor or plumber?

You can search for contractors or plumbers in your area who could help you install or repair appliances and equipment.

Search Now

See plumber qualifications

We provide manuals and materials to help you safely and effectively do your job in our service area.

Plumber Qualifications

WarmWise Contractor Corner

Stay connected with information about our energy efficiency programs and services for your customers.

Learn More

Have an emergency?

If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, have carbon monoxide symptoms or have some other emergency situation, go outside and call 911 and then call us at 1-888-460-4332.