We care about your safety

How to detect natural gas

Natural gas is colorless and odorless. We add an odorant called mercaptan to natural gas which gives it a distinctive smell, similar to rotten eggs. You can use your senses to detect natural gas:

See – Blowing dirt, bubbling water or dead vegetation
Smell – Smelling rotten eggs, sulfur or petroleum
Hear – Hearing a hissing or roaring sound

If you see, smell or hear natural gas…
Stop what you're doing

Stop what you’re doing

Don't light a match or operate anything that could cause a spark. Don't open the windows.

Leave the area

Leave the area immediately

If you're inside, get out immediately. If you're outside, leave the area quickly.

Call us and 911

Call 911 and us

From a safe location, away from the building, call 911 and 1-888-460-4332 and wait for crews to arrive.


Be alert for carbon monoxide

We care about your safety, and it’s important for you to know the risks of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, natural gas, propane or oil) burn incompletely.

If you think you have carbon monoxide build-up in your home or business, go outside immediately and call 911.

For more information on carbon monoxide safety, visit cdc.gov/co.

Know the symptoms

Headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing, feeling ill or tired at home, but fine when away from home.

Stay safe with these tips:
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors; some models double as smoke detectors
  • Have qualified professionals service your appliances
  • Provide adequate ventilation in your home when using stoves, fireplaces or unvented space heaters
  • Don’t burn charcoal or run a generator indoors or in an enclosed space
  • Clean your chimney and check for blockage
  • Open the garage door before starting your vehicle

We’ve got you covered – year round.

Our work doesn’t stop when the seasons change – and neither should yours!

Consider these seasonal safety tips to ensure your home or business is safe.

Flooding

If you have experienced flooding around your home or business, call us at 1-888-460-4332 so we can check your meter. Flood waters could have shifted your home or caused stress to our systems, creating a potentially unsafe situation. Turn off electrical power to each appliance and leave it off. When the water subsides, do not attempt to turn on your appliances by yourself. Always leave this work for professionals who can inspect and repair them before turning them back on.

Winter Weather

Your meter, regulator and outdoor piping can withstand harsh winter weather, but hard-packed snow, icicles and water dripping on outdoor equipment can create a safety hazard. Never let snow completely cover your meter setting, and don’t kick or hit the equipment to break up snow or ice. Use a broom to clear snow and your hands to clear ice.

In addition to your meter, be sure to clear snow and ice from your exhaust and combustion air vents. Keeping those vents clear can help you avoid carbon monoxide buildup and operational issues with your appliances.

Also, space heaters can provide additional comfort during the cold winter months. When using, place the space heater on a hard, non-flammable surface away from bedding, drapes, furniture and flammable products.

If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, have carbon monoxide symptoms or have some other gas emergency situation, go outside and call 911 and then us at 1-888-460-4332.

Disaster Preparedness

Make sure you and your family have a plan in place in case of a natural disaster. Visit Ready.gov for more information.

Appliance safety

Your appliances provide warmth, security and comfort. To ensure that your home is always safe, follow these helpful tips:

  • Avoid DIY - Always have a qualified professional install, service or repair your appliances
  • Choose a safe water heater temperature to prevent scalding based on manufacturer’s instructions
  • Keep gasoline and other flammable items away from appliances or other ignition sources
  • Warn children not to play with or around appliances
  • Have a qualified professional check older natural gas appliances, equipment and connectors to ensure they are operating safely
  • Review and carefully follow the care and use instructions for natural gas generators

Keeping our employees safe

Our crews need an accessible, safe working environment. Help us keep them safe.

  • We love pets, but they can be protective of their owners. Please secure your pets before our teams arrive to ensure they’re not scared of or aggressive toward our crews
  • Ensure the walkway to the door and to the meter are clear of snow and ice so our crews can safely approach your home or business
  • Please provide a clear path to your inside appliances by removing any boxes or clutter
  • Make sure basements are well lit and clear of hazardous materials
  • Ensure stairs are in good condition so our crews can access your meter and/or appliances

Training center employees learning

Keeping you safe

Our top priority is safety. We have programs to keep our customers and communities safe.

Learn More

Man in garden digging

Digging and line safety

Stay safe while you're digging in your yard, and know your responsibility for maintaining your gas lines.

Learn More

Have an emergency?

If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, have carbon monoxide symptoms or have some other emergency situation, go outside and call 911 and then call us at 1-888-460-4332.