descriptivetext
Carbon Monoxide Safety

It’s important to know the risks of carbon monoxide and the symptoms associated with it. A build-up of carbon monoxide could cause sudden illness and death.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, colorless, non-corrosive gas created when fuels, such as gasoline, wood, natural gas, propane, or oil, burn incompletely.

If you suspect that you have a carbon monoxide build-up in your home or business, go outside immediately and call 911.

Common symptoms include: headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing and feeling ill or tired at home, but feeling fine when you’re away from home.

To help ensure that you and your family are safe, please follow these tips:

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors. Some models even double as smoke detectors. 

  • Open the garage door before starting your vehicle.

  • Have qualified professionals service your appliances.
  • Provide adequate ventilation in your home when using stoves, fireplaces or unvented space heaters.
  • Don’t burn charcoal or run a generator indoors or in an enclosed space.
  • Review and carefully follow the care and use instructions for natural gas generators.Clean your chimney and check for a blockage.

For more information on carbon monoxide safety, visit cdc.gov/co.

For more natural gas safety information to help keep you and your family safe, visit the Stay Safe section of our website, which also include these valuable topics: Keeping you safe and Digging and line safety.

Have an emergency?

If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, have carbon monoxide symptoms or have some other emergency situation, go outside and call 911 and then call us at 1-888-460-4332.