Use these simple tips to reduce energy costs during winter:
- Keep the cold out by insulating your walls and attics.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- Reduce chilly drafts by covering windows from the inside with plastic.
- Keep cold air returns and vents uncovered and fireplace dampers closed when not in use.
- Make sure your thermostat is set to a temperature that suits your comfort and your wallet. Dropping the temperature by 10 to 15 degrees when you’re out of the house (for eight hours) can save 5 to 15 percent on your heating costs, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.