descriptivetext
CO Battery Change
Labeled the silent killer, carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, highly poisonous gas. It is created when fuels (natural gas, gasoline, wood, propane, oil and methane) burn incompatibly and combustion takes place without sufficient oxygen. CO can accumulate in enclosed spaces due to faulty heating and cooking equipment and or with improper venting.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include: shortness of breath, tiredness, confusion, nausea, headache, dizziness, weakness, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness.

Carbon Monoxide Prevention Tips:

  • Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil or coal-burning appliances serviced annually by a qualified technician.
  • Install CO detectors in your home and check or replace batteries each spring and fall. Leave your home immediately if the detector sounds and seek medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning.
  • Do not use a generator, charcoal grill or charcoal-burning device in your home.
  • Do not run a vehicle inside an attached garage, even if the door is open.
  • Do not heat your home with a gas oven or burn anything in a fireplace that is not vented.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning or a natural gas leak, leave the home immediately, call 911 and contact the Columbia Gas emergency line at 1-888-460-4332

Article Credits

Posted In
Customers, Company

Have an emergency?

If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, have carbon monoxide symptoms or have some other emergency situation, go outside and call 911 and then call us at 1-888-460-4332.