Keep the following tips in mind to keep your home safe and warm while managing heating costs during the winter season:
- Make sure your furnace is inspected and operating properly.
- Eliminate drafts with weather stripping and caulking around doors and windows.
- Change or clean the furnace filters to maximize air flow efficiency.
- Protect your water pipes in outside walls – run water, even at a trickle, to help prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Open the kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing.
- Keep the garage doors closed if there are water lines in the garage and close your outside crawl space vents to prevent frozen pipes.
- Check your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors to ensure they are operating according to manufacturer’s recommendation.
- When using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away – things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs. Don’t forget to turn off space heaters when going to bed.
- Never use stoves, ovens or outdoor grills as a source of indoor heat.
Columbia Gas offers a Budget Payment Plan which can help manage your monthly energy bills.