NiSource today issued its 2016 Integrated Annual Report. The report integrates two formerly separate reports: the company’s Annual Report to Stockholders and its Sustainability Report.
“By integrating these two reports into one, we are reinforcing our relentless focus on serving our customers in a way that is safe, reliable, environmentally responsible and sustainable,” said NiSource President and CEO Joe Hamrock. “This report showcases the story behind the investments we’re making and illustrates our commitment to serving our customers, communities and shareholders.”
Read the full report at www.nisource.com/sustainability.
Highlights of the 2016 Integrated Annual Report include:
- NiSource invested a record $1.5 billion in capital programs in 2016 to support safety, reliability and environmental improvements. This included replacing more than 400 miles of priority gas distribution pipelines, 60 miles of underground electric cable and more than 1,200 electric poles.
- NiSource investments are contributing to increased safety, reliability and environmental performance, including a 14 percent reduction in found gas system leaks when compared to 2015. In addition, since 2005, NiSource has reduced its methane emissions from its service and main lines by more than 25 percent and expects to further reduce natural gas system emissions by 300 million cubic feet over the next five years.
- NiSource will reduce its greenhouse gas emissions, water withdrawal and coal ash significantly as part of its recently outlined coal electric generating facility retirements.
- NiSource’s employee and contractor safety metrics continued to improve as it targets to be in the top 10 percent of the industry by the end of 2017.
- NiSource companies added more than 30,000 new natural gas customers—the company’s highest net customer growth since 2006—and has outlined a plan to grow its natural gas customer base by 1 percent annually by 2020.
- Approximately one million customers participated in energy efficiency programs at NiSource companies, saving approximately $12 million, while maintaining and increasing their home’s comfort.
- NiSource, Columbia Gas and NIPSCO employees volunteered more than 13,500 hours with local nonprofits to help make local communities better places to live, work and play. This volunteerism resulted in nearly $270,000 in donations through the Dollars for Doers program. In total, NiSource companies donated approximately $5.5 million to non-profits during the year, including $1.2 million from the NiSource Charitable Foundation.
Additional Sustainability Information and Data
Supporting the 2016 Integrated Annual Report, NiSource today also published a Sustainability Scorecard that highlights the key metrics and milestones it tracks regarding the company’s priorities and stakeholder materiality. Also available is Supplemental Sustainability Data includes more detail, including historical measurements, on additional sustainability metrics commonly tracked and requested by individual stakeholders. The scorecard, as well as other related sustainability-related information, are available on the company’s website at www.nisource.com/sustainability.
About Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania
Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania delivers clean, affordable and efficient natural gas to approximately 423,000 customers. With headquarters in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, it is one of NiSource’s seven regulated utility companies. NiSource (NYSE: NI) is one of the largest fully-regulated utility companies in the United States, serving approximately 3.5 million natural gas customers and 500,000 electric customers through its local Columbia Gas and NIPSCO brands. More information about Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania and NiSource is available at www.ColumbiaGasPA.com and www.nisource.com.
NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) is one of the largest fully-regulated utility companies in the United States, serving approximately 3.5 million natural gas customers and 500,000 electric customers across seven states through its local Columbia Gas and NIPSCO brands. Based in Merrillville, Indiana, NiSource's approximately 8,000 employees are focused on safely delivering reliable and affordable energy to our customers and communities we serve. NiSource has been designated a World's Most Ethical Company by the Ethisphere Institute since 2012 and is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability - North America Index. Additional information about NiSource, its investments in modern infrastructure and systems, its commitments and its local brands can be found at www.nisource.com. Follow us at www.facebook.com/nisource, www.linkedin.com/company/nisource or www.twitter.com/nisourceinc.
This news release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of federal securities laws. These forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties. Examples of forward-looking statements in this release include statements and expectations regarding NiSource’s business, performance, infrastructure or utility investments and growth. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the projections, forecasts, estimates, plans and expectations discussed in this release include, but are not limited to, NiSource’s debt obligations; any changes in NiSource’s credit rating; NiSource’s ability to execute its growth strategy; changes in general economic, capital and commodity market conditions; pension funding obligations; economic regulation and the impact of regulatory rate reviews; NiSource's ability to obtain expected financial or regulatory outcomes; any damage to NiSource's reputation; compliance with environmental laws and the costs of associated liabilities; fluctuations in demand from residential and commercial customers; economic conditions of certain industries; the success of NIPSCO's electric generation strategy; the price of energy commodities and related transportation costs; the reliability of customers and suppliers to fulfill their payment and contractual obligations; potential impairments of goodwill or definite-lived intangible assets; changes in taxation and accounting principles; potential incidents and other operating risks associated with our business; the impact of an aging infrastructure; the impact of climate change; potential cyber-attacks; construction risks and natural gas costs and supply risks; extreme weather conditions; the attraction and retention of a qualified work force; advances in technology; the ability of NiSource's subsidiaries to generate cash; uncertainties related to the expected benefits of the separation of Columbia Pipeline Group, Inc. and other matters referenced in the “Risk Factors” section of NiSource’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2016 and in other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. NiSource expressly disclaims any duty to update, supplement or amend any of its forward-looking statements contained in this release, whether as a result of new information, subsequent events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law. NI-F