Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania is offering simple tips to help keep your home safe, affordable, and warm this winter.
- Change or clean furnace filters to maximize air flow efficiency.
- Eliminate drafts with weather stripping and caulking around doors and windows.
- Do not store flammable materials near your natural gas furnace, water heater, or stove.
- Make sure your furnace is inspected and operating properly.
- Never use stoves, ovens, or outdoor grills as a source of indoor heat.
- Protect your water pipes in outside walls – run water, even at a trickle, to help prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Check your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors to ensure they are operating according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania’s Budget Payment Plan can help reduce the impact of winter heating bills by spreading your heating costs more evenly throughout the year. Visit our Budget Payment Plan page for more information.
- Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania’s WarmWise Audits & Rebates program offers eligible customers free home energy audits and rebates for energy efficiency measures. Learn more here.
- Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania’s Assistance Programs are available for income-qualified customers who are having financial trouble paying their natural gas bills. More information about these programs is available here.
What to Do If You Smell Natural Gas
If you smell the “rotten egg” odor of natural gas, whether inside your home or outside, evacuate to a safe location immediately and call 911. Do not operate anything that could cause a spark, including lights, cell phones, flashlights, or appliances. Don't open the windows and doors in an attempt to ventilate. Don't try to find the leak yourself or operate pipeline valves. Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania’s emergency number is 1-888-460-4332.
About Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania